Are you interested in learning about the value of items you own and/or selling at auction with Clars Auction Gallery?
Clars Auction Gallery has produced record selling prices for a wide variety of items including fine arts, furniture, decorative arts, Asian arts, jewelry, automobiles and special collections.
Clars’ specialists have many years of experience evaluating fine property in a vast range of fields, from fine arts and decorative arts to Asian art, as well as furniture, automobiles and special collections.
When you’re looking to sell at auction, whether it be fine arts, rugs, automobiles, jewelry, silver, furniture or other special items – it’s important to understand the value. To learn about the value of items you own and/or wish to sell, check out the options below for obtaining an appraisal.
Option 1: Send Us Photos
If you have items that you know you want to sell at auction, send us photos with approximate dimensions if possible, and we will give an estimate. Take two to three photos of each piece, from various perspectives. Send us the photos via email or postal mail.
Send the photos via email, making sure to include your name, phone number, email address as well as dimensions of the item with any pertinent information such as condition and history to:
or mail them, with the same contact information, to:
- Valuations, Clars Auction Gallery, 5644 Telegraph Ave., Oakland, CA 94609.
We cannot give jewelry valuations based on photos. All estimates based on photos may change, once we actually see the items.
- We will give estimates on 5 items per person.
- However, if you just want to find out whether we will accept your items for auction, you may include photos of up to 15 of the best or most representative items, with a brief description of the other items you have.
Option 2: Attend a Valuation Session
Valuation Sessions are held every Thursday from 9 to noon, except on holidays. There is a sign-up list as you enter, with clients seen on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Clars will give verbal valuations for up to five items per person. Although we prefer to see the actual item, these can be done based on photos, again with the stipulation that these estimates may change, once we actually see the items. There is a charge if a written valuation is required.
Clars Auction Gallery has to have a minimum value per consignment of $2000 overall, or $500 for a single item, although there are some exceptions.
Option 3: Schedule a Specialist to Make a Visit
If you have just a few items, or you live far away, we prefer that you utilize one of the options mentioned above initially. Based on this information, we can make a decision on scheduling a Specialist for a visit.
There are two types of visits Clars’ specialists may make.
- The Courtesy Look (roughly 95% of all visits made) for which there is no charge. In this situation, the specialist will take a quick walk through the home, apartment, or business. If requested, they’ll be happy to give verbal estimates on a couple of the items, if they can, but will not give estimates on each item. They will discuss which items make sense for auction and which don’t, and sometimes they can give a global estimate what the entire collection/estate might bring.
- The Valuation, for which Clars Auction Gallery charges $250 the first hour, $150 each additional hour. This includes one hour of travel time. There may be additional time required for research on some items. How long this takes, in addition to the numbers of items and the research involved in determining their value, may depend on how much detail is required (i.e. does the client require estimates on every single item, or perhaps only those worth more than $100?), and whether the items are easy to view, or need to be pulled out of drawers and closets.
Generally, Clars’ staff doesn’t do valuations for insurance purposes, divorces, donations or business evaluations, but may refer the client to one or more specialists.