Director/Senior Specialist, Jewelry & Timepieces
The role of the Director/Senior Specialist, Jewelry & Timepieces, is to grow Clars’ Jewelry & Timepieces department’s business by achieving annual sales goals as well as maintain pre-existing (and establish new) long-term client relationships with private collectors, institutions, and industry experts.
- Responsible for all gemology work associated with the evaluation of property for auction including gem identification, carat weight calculation, grading, cataloging consigned property, researching authenticity, provenance and reviewing client inquiries to determine sale potential
- Research and catalog property for auction and assign auction estimates
- Lead, as well as mentor, departmental team members to promote the monthly auctions by helping clients at auction previews, speaking to clients about the property, developing, tracking, and communicating client interest and executing bids at auction
- Oversee department in client inquiries regarding evaluations, consignments, and auctions
- Proactively develop new opportunities to grow and maintain the volume of property
- Travel regionally to evaluate and consign property for upcoming sales
- Collaborate with other departments to develop marketing strategies to reach new potential sellers and buyers
Associate Fine Art Specialist/ Cataloguer
Clars Auction Gallery, an internationally recognized, full-service auction house located in Oakland, California, is currently seeking an Associate Fine Art Specialist/Cataloguer for the Fine Art department. It is one of the most important departments in the company and generally has two–three full time specialists.
- Cataloging and evaluating fine art compliant with Clars’ cataloguing structure
- Ability to market art to potential buyers
- Handle the physical demands of hanging a large amount of artwork
- Meet deadlines in a fast paced, team environment
- Ability to interact with clients to obtain consignments of fine art, which includes knowledge of fine art evaluations
As the auction industry continues to thrive and we continue to grow, it has been our desire to do more for the up-and-coming passion driven art enthusiast. As the largest West Coast Auction House, Clars Auction Gallery, Inc., we would like to engage the future leaders in building the best marketplace for trading Fine Art & Collectibles.
The internship program ranges from 3 to 6 months on a full-time, Monday to Friday basis, hours 9AM–5PM. Interns are expected to adhere to these working hours unless otherwise specified by the department supervisor. Part-time hours should be discussed and agreed upon during the interview process.
You will gain excellent insight into the workings of a busy auction house while having hands-on experience. You will shadow leading specialists in one of the collecting categories and will be able to experience the buzz of sale days.